Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Return from Christmas...

The tree is down.

That alone can signal the end of Christmas. In years past, I have always had a bit of melancholy come over me at this annual happening. Not this year!

With Libby testing boundaries on a near-constant basis, the Christmas tree, with its array of glittery ornaments, proved to be too much of a temptation to our little terror tot. (Add in the fact that for the first few days of my vacation she was also on a decongestant that so hyped her up I would not have been at all surprised to see her head spin while vomiting pea green soup and you can imagine my frustration.)

The ornaments (at least the ones that survived the season) breathed a sigh of relief as they were nestled back into their storage bed for another 11 months. The toys, with a few exceptions, have all been opened, played with, and assimilated into the ever-growing pile of stuff in our house. The Christmas cookies on which I have been living off of the past week are now tasting a bit on the stale side. The radio stations playing non-stop Christmas music have switched back to their regular broadcasts. Walmart and Target are advertising 75% off on all Christmas decor sales...

Yes, Christmas is over for another year.

And I am not too sad about it.

Yes, it was fun picking out gifts for the girls (although I was also conflicted about feeling the need to buy them more toys when it seems like they have more than enough already). I enjoyed receiving cards from all our family and friends. I love the excuse to bake up dozens of goodies. I really love my present - my new camera. However, I am anxious to bring in the new year, this new decade.

Now is the time to make those new year resolutions (exercise, anyone? I got on the scale to survery the cookie damage and could have sworn I heard the elliptical laugh at me...), get a fresh start. So as I reflect on the past year, I also look forward to the future. I have a good feeling about 2010.

But for now I will make the most out of the last six days of my break. =)

Happy New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment