Saturday, December 12, 2009

Dickens Downtown

Tonight I bundled up the kids and met Earl downtown for a Dickens Christmas. It was cold! Brrrrr!! But definitely worth the shivering. Earl is the President of Historic Georgetown Inc. and they put on a really nice Christmas celebration this year! Tonight was carriage rides and a candlelight tour of historic homes on Main Street. The thought of lugging the girls in and out of stranger's houses filled with breakable, irreplaceable antiques, frankly, scared the snot out of me. I opted out of that. But carriage rides? That sounded fun! So off we went!

First I made them look happy and pose for some pictures. The intrigue of a new camera has worn off for Anna. I have snapped many an eyeroll in the past week!





Anna did some window shopping - she has all her future jewelery all picked out now!



Then I made them pose some more. Notice Libby pointing to the real reason we were there....



The horses! The first carriage was pulled by Lincoln, behind him is Amadeus.



Anna chose to ride in Lincoln's carriage. I must say, clip-clopping along, taking in the sights of all the beautiful old houses decorated for Christmas, sitting across from my husband (who I thought looked quite dapper in his Dickens' clothes and posterboard-and-felt top hat), I could almost imagine what it would have been like to be in Georgetown 150 years ago. The word "slow" comes to mind. =) Those horses do plod along!



It was a really great time! Libby even impressed me by staying (mostly) still for a whoppin' 25 minutes! She entertained herself by waving cheerfully to all the passing motorists.

I just love good 'ol Georgetown!

1 comment:

  1. Georgetown does seem fantastic. Things like this make it tough for me to think that we would love to steal you away from there and bring you closer to us...but, we still would.

    Earl does look quite dapper in that outfit!

    I often think about what it must have been like to live life at a slower pace. We rocket through life these days and barely see things, let alone appreciate them. It's always good to have a night like this to enjoy life differently.

    ReplyDelete