Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Another Tolerable Tuesday!

Okay.....I'm thinking thanksgiving. Today I gave my kids a writing assignment. After their first shocked response -"But this isn't writing class!!!!?" - I explained the assignment. Instead of the typical pre-Thanksgiving writing piece, What Are You Thankful For? (or is that, For What Are You Thankful?) anyway, I didn't want the canned "I'm thankful for my parents and dog and toys and house and nice clothes" and yadda yadda yadda, I wanted them to really think about thankfulness. I based my assignment on two Bible verses.....

Give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus.
-1 Thessalonians 5:18


And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him.
-Romans 8:28a


They had to think of an event in their lives that didn't go according to their plans, but looking back, God used the situation to bless them.

They really surprised me with their responses! I am a proud teacher today. =)

The fact is, it is so easy to thank God and feel blessed when everything in our lives is smooth sailing. That doesn't take much faith at all. If we truly believe what Romans 8:28a says, we need to be thanking God for the times when things don't fall neatly into place. That's not such a simple thing. Exercising those "faith muscles" can be painful and draining; especially when we're used to getting our way. However, as with all muscles, the only way they can grow stronger is with exercise. God wants us to give thanks in all circumstances. He doesn't ask us to give thanks only in good circumstances. Because in all things God works for the good of those who love him.

So this year I am thinking outside the box. I am going to make a concentrated effort to try to see the silver lining God always places in those storm clouds.....and remember to flex those muscles!

Happy Thanksgiving!!

No comments:

Post a Comment