Saturday, October 24, 2009

Materialism - It's the American Way!

We've been struggling with Anna wanting everything she sees on TV. Every commercial that comes on she feels the need to announce, "Hey, Momma, I want that!" We really want her (and Libby) to be grateful for what they have. Every parent wants that for their child, right?

So how do we teach her to be content with what she has? I have to admit that we as parents have not been the greatest examples. While we are not rich by any means, we do "spoil" ourselves and upgrade our belongings long before the old ones have worn out. In this world it's difficult to not "keep up with the Joneses". When we see our friends getting nice new toys, we are happy for them - then we want them, too! And of course, it needs to be bigger and better! I want a better camera, HD satellite, a great vacation with friends, a larger house, I want, I want, I want!!! (Hmm.....and I wonder where Anna gets it?!)

Today a child really put this mind set into perspective. Anna's friend came over to play, and as the girls were racing up the stairs her friend stopped and exclaimed with amazement, "WOW! I've never been in a house with an upstairs before!"

Nothing like the innocence of a six year old to point out your own selfishness. After I picked my jaw up off the floor, I saw through new eyes what blessings I have been given. I doubt I'll ever completely get over my materialism, but from now on I WILL try harder to appreciate what I have.

........starting with a movie and snuggles with my Annagirl. =)

1 comment:

  1. It's amazing how kids, especially kids you don't see all the time, can bring you back to reality and help you to see your blessings sometimes, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete