Tuesday, February 9, 2010

I'm Having Harry Potter Deja Vu

As a teacher of half grown students, I try to connect with them on whatever level I can. If that means reading a book that they're all talking about, I'll do it. So, the talk of the middle school is Percy Jackson. If you are like me, you have never heard of Percy Jackson....or the Olympians.

As I was reading the book I was hit by the thought that the plot was very similar to Harry Potter.

Got an adolescent boy with underlying super powers? Check!

Does he get sent to special school for kids like him? Check!

Meet two friends? One of them a "know-it-all"? Check! Check!

Does he need to get sent on a special mission that only he can fulfill? Check!

Not to say it isn't an otherwise good book, but it has a "been there, done that" feel.

On the subject of books, other books I've read so far this year....

Change of Heart by Jodi Piccoult
The Twilight Series (for about the 45th time) by Stephenie Meyer
The Host also by Stephenie Meyer (since I've reread this one I keep having dreams about aliens! hah!)

I think there was one more, but I can't remember.... Anyway, 7 books so far and we're not quite 6 weeks into the year. I'm going to keep track of all the books I read (and reread) this year. I bet I'll reach one hundred!! (Grad school could put a kink in that thought....)

Happy Snow Day, everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment