Monday, April 9, 2012

Three Little Letters....

HDR

High Dynamic Resolution

This past weekend I dived into this interesting way of photo editing and I must say, the results are pretty impressive!

The idea is basically that you take maultiple shots of different exposures, then pick a software that will layer them.  The benefit to this is that the over exposed shots pick up the lighter details like the sky, while the under exposed shots will bring the details in the shadier parts.

Earl, Libby and I took advantage of the beautiful spring weather this past Saturday and drove down to Bardstown to visit My Old Kentucky Home, and then to the Abbey of Gethsemani and on to the Bernheim Arboretum.  I had plenty of beautiful scenes to try out this new trick.  And there is most definitely a learning curve to it, but I think the final product turned out well.

Here are three photographs I blended...

A shot with normal exposure-
 A slightly underexposed shot (I believe it was 1 stop up and 1 down from 0)-
 And the overexosed shot-
 After layering and much tweaking, this is what I came up with -
Notice the extra details.  Especially in the bale of hay, the trees in the background, and the sky. 

 The watermark is due to the trail version of the photo editing software I'm trying out.

So, what do you think?  Is it too surreal looking, or does it look good?

No comments:

Post a Comment